I have a N810 since Wednesday so here is my micro review.
- The Keyboard, I really love it. I noticed that I use it a lot (for everything possible).
- Hardware buttons. Screen maximize/minimize moved to the left. New screen-lock button. This is really improves usability, excellent!
- Look-and-feel, pretty awesome.
- Speakers, they make NOISE!!1
- GPS fix time, almost unusable.
- Mini SD slot. Is there really not enough space to put in a normal-sized SD/MMC slot?
- Micro-USB, WTF?
- The keyboard layout, missing symbols (pipe and tab). See solution below.
In order to make the device hacker compatible one needs to modify the keyboard layout and at least add a PIPE and a TAB key. This can be easily done by editing the X11 keyboard layout. Mike Rowehl: This is Mobility had some small discussion in his blog. For now I made TAB to be Fn-Space and PIPE to be Shift-Minus. This way I don't loose either Euro nor Sterling/Pound.
Some must haves:
update-rc.d -f metalayer-crawler0 remove (this thing sucks!)
gconftool -s -t string /system/osso/connectivity/IAP/DEFAULT/type DUMMY (you need this to play with the network)
Statusbar Load-Applet (CPU and MEM usage)
IpHome Home Applet (show IP address)
Important command line utils: SSH, mtr, bluez-utils, nmap, socat, wireless-tools, dsniff, ...
New stuff I've been thinking about: Location Home-applet, shows current position (maybe with street name lookup). Temperature Home-applet (see internal-temp app). New hardware-keyboard-based version of xkbd-bthid, also I need to support Windows and MacOSX (this will take some time).
Any comments or ideas for applications?